Sunday, January 02, 2005

Happy New Year!

Apologies for the missed posts over the last few days. New Years Eve was obviously not going to get an update, yesterday I was busy with thinking about my move back to school. Today is less hectic, so I'll squeeze one in.

It's a strange tradition, this new years, when people all over the world go out and celebrate in excess the change between two rather arbitrarily chosen dates. Any visible or tangible difference between December 31st and January 1st is entirely negligible. Why we go out of our way to rejoice the survival of another year I'll never know, so I'll just keep playing along, I suppose. It is enjoyable to spend time with friends getting a bit wasted, but do we need a special day for this?

So I spent my time at Nathan Phillips Square in the good ol' T-dot. We got there at around 10:30, so naturally there were no places to stand anywhere remotely close to the stage, which didn't end up making a hell of a difference, the guests were disappointing anyways.

First up: Not By Choice. Predictable but decent performance, not more or less than I'd expect from your typical cookie cutter teen angst band. Doesn't this ever get old?
Second: Keisha Chante. She was probably the best of the performers. No complaints about her actually.
Third: Glass Tiger. Okay, so a band who hasn't released a song in, what, 20 years? And what was worse was that they weren't even at our location. The stage on the screen looked the same, and the hosts hyped up the performance like they were going to be there, but when the music started and the crowd started cheering, nobody came out. I think it turned out they were actually performing in Edmonton. What a rip-off... of course I paid nothing for being there, but it still bothered me.
Fourth and Closing: I don't now. Apparently some male singer I've never heard of gets final billing leading up to the countdown. I guess Keisha had to make it to her after party in time for the stroke of midnight, so they got some loser to fill the last spot.

All in all it was fun. Hard not to have fun on New Years Eve.



So here's a quick little drawing for some non-player characters in my game project. The difficult part of all of this is not drawing the 8 or 9 main characters in the game, it's trying to think of how to dress the other thousands of non-players that will be seen. We're creating a world here, they need fashion and style, and costume design is not what I'm trained in. So just some ideas thrown onto paper for them. Not terribly original, but it's a kind of funky futuristic style nonetheless. It's all just ideas at this point.

"Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And days of auld lang syne?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home