Sunday, January 30, 2005

Dead Lines

It's been a fast month, I realized earlier today. It mostly doesn't affect me much, the passing of time, unless it so happens that I have a pressing deadline coming up. Dead-line: what a funny word; if we do not meat these dates and these times, is that the line we cross at which point we are determined to be 'dead'? It's very much applicable to the up and coming all-hell-breaks-loose week, or as it is more commonly referred to, midterms. If I am not prepared for these mid term examinations, I will have hit a point where I can say, 'yes, I am dead'. Dead meat, dead in the water, dead as a doornail, D-E-D dead, drop dead (fred?). I actually didn't realize that midterms were the week of the 7th to the 11th, as it seems far too early in the term to be exercising the knowledge we should have gained in our courses.

Alas, though, it is true. I will have 6 grueling tests in 5 torturous days, and starting today I have 8 miserable days in which to begin my studying. Seems like enough, I suppose, except when you consider my track record of not beginning any project or studying before 3 days prior to its due date. Seriously; I am a truly consistent procrastinator. Must... break... habits... or... face... failure.......

Fortunately breaking habits is something I'm also good at, I've just never applied this feature of mine in that department. Hopefully I will kick myself in the ass enough to devote a decent amount of time to each course and not take the next 8 days for granted. I will continue posting, though, I'll just have to cut down on some of my other, more wasteful activities... **cough** World of Warcraft **cough**.

Speaking of the wonderful WoW, that is the topic of today's picture. It's my night-elf hunter character, Seleine and her faithful pet Bast. The names come from mythologies, Roman and Egyptian. I selected Seleine because Selene was for some reason restricted by the WoW naming system, likely due to it being a pre-named character in the game, or something. Selene is the Roman moon goddess, which I thought was appropriate for a 'night'-elf 'hunter'. Bast is a more unusual name, coming from the Egyptian cat goddess, symbolic also of the moon, and more terrestrially women and fertility. I like the names very much and I like the character very much, so I decided to sketch her out; just because. I think I'm going to keep adding to this picture, making it more detailed and less sketchy, but I'm happy with it as it is now for a posting. The lack of detail in character comes from the fact that I had to draw an animal, something I am not used to doing. Humans are what I primarily draw (in case you hadn't noticed), and animals are unfamiliar territory. Bast came out alright, though she seems very flat compared to Seleine since she's drawin with a degree of depth and perspective. The more I type the more I realize I definitely want to go and touch this up. Perhaps tomorrow I'll really give it a good revamp and polishing and use it as the picture. Okay, so without further babbling:




"Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?"
- Robert Blake, 489.Tiger

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home