Thursday, December 30, 2004

That funny little thing called death

I was at a viewing today for a family friend who's father passed away. I think it's the first time I've ever actually seen a dead body in person, and though it didn't freak me out or anything, it certainly made me think. Mortality is something we've struggled to understand as a species for our entire existence. Life is a fleeting moment, and when it's all over we have no idea what to expect. It's not hard to understand that our body, mind, and soul can wear down, and even die, but to try and wrap your head around the idea of 'inexistance' is baffling. I mean, I am right now. I see, I think, I breathe, I do, I just AM. So what could it mean to NOT be?

This is why we've come up with elaborate fantasies about afterlives and reincarnation and that... It's too hard not to have some concept. Unless you go through your life not believing in anything, you have to speculate about what could be after living. And what makes it more perplexing is that it ties into why we exist at all. If there is nothing after death, then what is the meaning to life? We need to be working towards something, do we not?

Too deep. No more. Here's a drawing. It's a sketch for my game project, supposedly a character for the alien race. I drew it mainly for the clothing design, to get as many different styles out of it as I could.


"To die will be an awfully big adventure." - Peter Pan, JM Barrie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home